By Andrew Torgan, CNN
If you haven’t shopped for Thanksgiving dinner yet, you better brace yourself: The price of turkey and all the trimmings is up 20% from last year.
Here’s what else you need to know Start your week smart.
The weekend that was
• As millions of Americans prepare to travel during the Thanksgiving holiday week, many will have to deal with rain, snow, gusty winds and cold temperatures. More than 5 million people from Michigan to New York are under winter weather alerts as additional lake effect snow is expected today.
• At least five people were killed and 18 others were injured in a mass shooting at a gay nightclub on Saturday in Colorado Springs, Colorado, according to police.
• Negotiators from nearly 200 countries at the UN’s COP27 climate summit in Egypt took the historic step of agreeing to set up a “loss and damage” fund to help vulnerable countries deal with climate disasters – but failed to reach an agreement to phase out fossil fuels after marathon talks “Stumbled” by a number of oil-producing countries.
• Former President Donald Trump’s Twitter account has been reinstated on the platform. The account, which was banned by Twitter in the wake of the Jan. 6, 2021 attack on the US Capitol, was restored after Twitter CEO Elon Musk posted a poll on the platform on Friday night asking users if Trump should be reinstated.
• President Joe Biden turns 80 today, becoming the first octogenarian to serve in the highest office in the country. The unique milestone on Biden’s birthday comes as the president grapples with speculation about whether he will run for re-election and raises questions about whether he is too old to serve another term.
The week begins with Thanksgiving Day — that is, the turkey. President Joe Biden will be participating in a longstanding presidential tradition: the Thanksgiving turkey pardon. After the ceremony, the lucky shiners will return to North Carolina, where they grew up.
A judge has ordered former national security adviser Michael Flynn to testify before a special Atlanta district grand jury investigating efforts by former President Donald Trump and his allies to overturn the 2020 election in Georgia. Fulton County prosecutors are interested in a grand jury hearing from Flynn specifically about the December 18, 2020 encounter with Trump, attorney Sidney Powell, and others associated with the Trump campaign, according to a Fulton County court filing. During a heated Oval Office meeting, CNN previously reported, Flynn and Powell made outrageous suggestions about annulling the election. The meeting came just three weeks after Trump pardoned Flynn near the end of his administration.
happy thanks giving! Here are five tips for taming travel jitters and stress during the holidays.
It’s Black Friday, and it’s traditionally been one of the biggest holiday shopping days of the year — that is, until the Covid-19 pandemic shut down the US economy in 2020. But even now, with coronavirus restrictions in the rearview mirror, major chains like Walmart Target and Best Buy are choosing to keep their doors closed. However, retail sales for the combined shopping months of November through December will grow 6% to 8% this year compared to the 2021 holiday season, according to the National Retail Federation projections.
Small Business Saturday, which began as a marketing initiative to entice people to “shop small” and support local businesses over Thanksgiving weekend, has become a quasi-holiday. This year, small business owners are being encouraged to up their TikTok game to attract younger customers.
How does Trump’s inner circle feel about 2024?
In this week one thing Podcast “CNN This Morning” anchor Caitlan Collins breaks former President Donald Trump’s 2024 presidential campaign ad and considers whether any other Republican will be able to challenge him for the nomination. She also shares how people in Trump’s orbit feel about the move after the Republican’s lackluster performance in the midterm elections. Listen here for more.
Pictures of the week
Check out more touching, adorable, and thought-provoking photos From the week that was sponsored by CNN Photos.
What’s going on in entertainment
American Music Awards
The 2022 American Music Awards, hosted by Wayne Brady, will be broadcast live tonight at 8 p.m. ET on ABC. The event will feature performances by Carrie Underwood, Imagine Dragons, Pink and more, along with a career tribute to Lionel Richie.
If every superhero has an origin story, “The Fabelmans” is the origin story of the great director – with director Steven Spielberg in question. CNN’s Brian Lowry says the film, which will be released widely Wednesday, is “a deeply personal story from one of cinema’s greatest talents” that is definitely worth the price of a theater ticket.
What happens in sports
The 2022 World Cup kicks off today. CNN will bring you special coverage of the top stories from Qatar between now and December 18th.
In addition to all-day games and Monday’s game between the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals, the NFL will be serving its usual three-course meal from football games on Thanksgiving Day — as well as the first game on Black Friday.
Take the weekly news quiz on CNN To see how much you remember from that week! So far, 59% of your fellow fans have answered eight or more questions correctly. How will you fare?
AAA expects approximately 55 million people in the United States to travel over the upcoming Thanksgiving weekend. This one’s for all the intrepid travelers who are ready to brave the country’s airports and highways later this week. (Click here to view)
™ & © 2022 Cable News Network, Inc. , a Warner Bros. discovery company. All rights reserved.