You can also “try on” AR clothes using the Snapchat app anytime, anywhere.
In a one-of-a-kind partnership, Snapchat and British Vogue come together to launch Vogue x Snapchat: Redefine the Body, an incredible AR exhibition curated by Editor in Chief, British Vogue and European Editorial Director, Vogue, Edward Enninful OBE (Order of the ‘British Empire).
The AR exhibit features high-end fashion models brought to life using custom Snapchat filters. Textiles transform into innovative digital AR experiences that tell stories about heritage and diversity or echo a global movement.
The groundbreaking event will be hosted in Cannes, France at the La Malmaison art center. Snap and Vogue will present clothing designs from seven of the world’s leading fashion brands and designers; Balenciaga, Dior, Gucci, Kenneth Ize, Richard Quinn, Stella McCartney and Versace.
Anyone attending this event will be able to walk through an incredible custom design room and unlock the creative vision of these fashion leaders in inclusive design using AR Snapchat’s powerful test experiences.
Each designer will work in one of six custom environments that will complement their physical fashion and using custom Snap Lenses, designers will be able to bring their works to life in an inclusive and accessible way.
Here’s what you can expect from each designer (as provided by Snap):
- The exhibition hall of the French fashion house is shrouded in opaque darkness. Dense black curtains line the space, which houses two illuminated looks from Balenciaga’s 50th Couture Collection, and winks at the design of a historic dressing room.
- The pieces are part of Balenciaga’s first Couture collection since 1968, the year in which the founder of the house retired.
- Attendees can scan the room’s Snapcode to instigate different perspectives of the monochrome environment.
- There will also be a Balenciaga custom AR experience, with trial lenses available for wearing the hot pink opera coat shown in the exhibit.
- In the courtyard of the Center d’Art La Malmaison, a three-meter-high statue of a model wearing the revolutionary 1947 Dior New Look welcomes guests of Redefine il corpo.
- Standing on a five-pointed star – a symbol of divine providence that inspired the superstitious founding designer to open his house in 1946 – he holds the iconic Lady Dior bag, an emblem of elegance for nearly three decades.
- The Snapcode Snapchat reveals details of Dior Petites hand-stitching onto this statue as it descends from its star-shaped pedestal, blending ancient craftsmanship with digital technology.
- In its exhibition hall, the Florentine house replicates the white grid and the illusionistic scenography of the funhouse mirror from the Exquisite Gucci show.
- On the podiums, the mannequins exhibit the looks of this collection of exploration of masculinity, which imagined the dress as a suggestion of tailoring.
- Using the Snapchat lens, Snapchatters can use the phone screen to deform its size, discovering colorful portals in a palette that reflects the atmosphere of the Exquisite Gucci show.
- Snapchatters will be able to wear the tailoring, Gucci faux fur, aviator-style sunglasses and cap, revealed by moving mosaic grids.
- Kenneth Ize, whose brand founded in 2013 supports West African craftsmanship, has collaborated with Nigerian multimedia artist Jelili Atiku in an exhibition space featuring vivid reproductions of her paintings and public performances.
- Inside this exhibition hall, colorful tapestries and upholstery are created using Aso oke, a hand-woven Nigerian fabric essential to Ize’s projects.
- The mannequins display vibrant unique clothing, reflecting Ize’s commitment to craftsmanship.
- Through the Snapchat AR experience, viewers can experience Ize’s West African story, brought to life through sound, and wear her tactile creations, which will ripple and unfold before their eyes.
- A geometric grid of flowers and polka dots, the showroom of British designer and winner of this year’s BFC / Vogue Designer Fashion Fund Richard Quinn is enveloped in the idiosyncratic prints of his brand founded in 2016.
- The lenses will reveal a magical garden, where blue roses magnify through a mist, growing before your eyes and giving Snapchatter the opportunity to watch as Quinn’s opera cloak and wide-brimmed balaclava appear on their bodies in a interactive twinkle vortex.
- The exhibition hall of the British house founded in 2001 is transformed into a cave of gigantic colored mushrooms, where mannequins display cascading dresses with ruffles from the brand’s spring / summer 2010 collection.
- The space is rooted in Stella McCartney’s Spring / Summer 2022 collection and campaign theme, Fungi Are The Future Of Fashion And Our Planet, with the designer being inspired by the potential of these incredible organisms to offer more sustainable solutions from medicine to innovation of materials.
- The Big Mushroom will transform to show digital bees pollinating mushroom spores using Scan technology, and the test AR feature will unveil a mushroom-garlanded headdress along with a dress growing from fantastic mushrooms.
- Golden tiles, Baroque columns, and Versace’s Medusa capture the Italian brand’s feeling of modern opulence within its exhibition hall.
- On display are bondage-inspired pieces from the brand’s now legendary fall / winter 1992 collection, ‘Miss S&M’.
- Snapchat brings the experience to life, allowing Snapchatters to wear buckled looks that transform into writhing snakes as the mythological Medusa comes to life and transforms into the viewer himself.
In addition to the physical fashion used to unlock phenomenal AR experiences, the exhibit’s facade will also be digitally “wrapped” by designers using Snap’s impressive Landmarker technology, transforming the building’s exterior.
“For me it has always been important to make fashion accessible to everyone. Using augmented reality, Vogue x Snapchat: Redefine the Body is an exhibition that invites everyone, regardless of race, gender, sexuality and size, to experiment and enjoy the fashion of some of the best luxury designers and brands in the world. “ Enninful said in an official press release, adding “It doesn’t get any better than that.”
During a SXSW 2022 panel called Future fashion: the challenge of fitnessspeaker Samuel Alexander, CEO of C2C Fashion and Technology LLC, talked about how the clothing we wore was more than just a fashion statement; reflects who we are as people.
He imagined the day he would be able to tell that story in a richer and more meaningful way and saw the AR technology of companies like Snap Inc. as a key to unlock that level.
“We are thrilled to partner with Vogue to enable hundreds of millions of Snapchatters around the world to digitally experience fashion from top designers and brands,” said Evan Siegel, co-founder and CEO of Snap inc. “Through this exhibition, and augmented reality more generally, we hope to introduce new levels of accessibility, creativity and expression to the world of fashion and design”.
Vogue x Snapchat: Redefining the body will also see Vogue and Snapchat team up DressX to create a capsule collection for the exhibition. This collection will include limited edition Vogue x Snapchat merch and will be available on the DressX website and at the show for guests to “try” on in AR.
Each of the AR fashion experiences was developed in collaboration with Arcadia, Atomic digital designnand Snap’s newborn Paris AR Studio, which focuses on empowering and educating the next generation of creators in an effort to inspire the world on the possibilities of augmented reality through art, education and culture. You can also try on some of the outfits at home by visiting Snapchat’s Lens carousel or the Dress Up tab in Lens Explorer.
Vogue x Snapchat: Redefine the The body is launched today. For more information, click here.
Image credit: Snap Inc.