Peruvian-inspired Grilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado Aji Verde Sauce are made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs marinated with Latin spices, so flavorful and great for summer grilling!
Peruvian-inspired grilled chicken skewers
These Peruvian-inspired grilled chicken skewers made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs are juicy and so flavorful topped with a tangy green aji avocado sauce. The chicken is marinated with beer, Sazon, cumin and spices. The creamy hot sauce is so good, I put it on my eggs, steak tacos, etc. Freely inspired by my favorite Peruvian chicken with salsa verde that’s easy to make all summer long on the grill. Try it with rice and my quick black beans. Or do it with Arroz Congri. Other grilled chicken recipes I love, grilled chicken with bruschetta, grilled chicken with lime and cilantro and one of my most popular, Grilled Sabroso Chicken.
I have made these grilled chicken skewers a couple of times in the past month and they have been such a hit with my family. They’re so delicious – the longer you let the chicken marinate, the more flavor it will have.
Aji Green Spicy Avocado Sauce
The jalapeños-based creamy avocado salsa will be very spicy if you leave it in the seeds, and that’s how I like it. A little goes a long way! If you prefer more delicate sauces, remove the seeds. This aji sauce will last four days in the refrigerator, so you can use it on anything from scrambled eggs and rice and beans to tacos with steak and grilled chicken.
What is aji sauce made of?
To make my aji green avocado hot sauce, blend all the ingredients below:
- Avocado: for healthy fats and a creamy texture. I use 1 ounce which is about 1/4 small haas.
- Jalapewe: for the spices. I like hot sauce, so I leave the jalapeno seeds behind, but you can make it milder by omitting the seeds.
- Corianderfor freshness and flavor.
- Liquid: Olive oil, white vinegar, water
- Aromatic: Garlic
- Spices: Cumin and salt
Chicken marinade recipe
Combine all of the ingredients below in a bowl or ziplock bag and marinate the sliced chicken legs for at least three hours or overnight.
- Blonde beer: I used the Corona light, but Modelo or Dos XX would have worked too.
- Sazon with achiote: You can buy sazon at the grocery store or make your own sazon dressing from scratch.
- White vinegar: If you don’t have regular white vinegar, replace it with apple vinegar.
- Spices: Cumin, salt, garlic powder, oregano
How to grill chicken skewers
- Place the sliced chicken legs on metal skewers. If you are using wooden ones, you will need to soak them in water first. If you don’t want to make the skewers, leave the thighs whole and skip this step.
- Preheat the grill to medium temperature and oil the wire shelves. Grill the chicken skewers for about five minutes on each side.
What to serve with Peruvian grilled chicken skewers
I serve this grilled chicken with rice and some of my favorite summer salads, like the grilled corn salad and the cucumber and tomato salad. Try this with rice and my quick black beans. Or do it with Arroz Congri.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I make these chicken skewers with chicken breast? Sure, I love dark meat because it’s never dry but chicken breast will work just fine too.
- Can I make chicken skewers in the air fryer? Yes, you can make them in the air fryer without the sticks. Air-fry them at 400 ° F for 12 to 14 minutes, shaking the basket halfway.
Your comments are useful !! If you have tried this delicious grilled chicken recipe or any other recipe on Skinnytaste, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below! I’d love to hear your thoughts, variations and feedback. And if you’ve taken any photos, share them with me on Instagram so I can share them on my stories again!
Other Latin recipes you will love:
Peruvian Grilled Chicken Skewers With Aji Verde Avocado Sauce
Grilled Chicken Skewers with Avocado Aji Verde Sauce are made with boneless, skinless chicken thighs marinated with Latin spices, so flavorful and great for summer grilling!
- 2 lb without bones, skinless chicken thighs
- 6 ounce blonde beer, I used the Corona light
- 1 Sazon dressing pack with achiote, 1/2 tbsp
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 spoons White vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Green Aji Sauce with Avocado (for 2/3 cup)
- 1 ounce avocado
- 2 Jalapenos, with seeds *
- 3 table spoon fresh cilantro
- 2 table spoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Clove garlic
- 2 table spoon White vinegar
- 3 to 4 spoons water
- 1/8 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 plus 1/8 teaspoon of kosher salt
* I like hot sauce, so I leave the jalapeno seeds behind, but you can make it more delicate by omitting the seeds.
Serving: 1skewer with sauce, Calories: 289kcal, Carbohydrates: 2.5g, Protein: 30g, Fat: 16g, Saturated fats: 3g, Cholesterol: 142mg, Sodium: 574mg, Fiber: 1g, Sugar: 0.5g
Keyword: grilled chicken skewers, grilled chicken legs