Eleven something about the Broncos as they travel to Carolina to take on the Panthers on Sunday.
1. Broncos wide receiver Kendall Hinton started the season on the team’s practice squad and wasn’t signed to the 53-man roster until October 10. No. 2 receiver for the previous two matches without Jerry Judy. He stepped into Jeudy’s spot for the first game against Tennessee and played that spot without any reps working out there. He had been in the field for 135 of 144 snaps in the previous two games and had seven catches for 119 yards over that distance. He probably should have gotten two touchdowns – one on a 32-yard snap that was ruled a score and then flipped, and then his only light touchdown of the day, a touchdown from what was almost a long free-play touchdown in the third quarter.
2. “It was so dynamic there,” Hackett said. “He’s been able to win on single routes. He’s got a lot of turning to him. Then when you add his intelligence in there, because of his experience as a quarterback, he’s been good for us.”
3. Hinton played quarterback in a game in 2020, and at one point was relegated to line up as a cornerback on the scout team. “Last year they put me in a nickel for a week,” the former Wake Forest star said with a laugh. “I think I touched a little bit of everything.”
4. THAT CAN GIVE A THIRD-YEAR PLAYER PERSPECTIVE FAST. “During the season, shots fly and there’s a lot that happens, but there are definitely moments where I sit back and I’m just grateful for how far I’ve come, the opportunities I’ve had and where I’m at,” Mat. the trip.”
5. The team’s MVP, Cortlandt Sutton, has seen something of a resurgence in the past couple of weeks. Since Denver’s bye week, Sutton has 11 catches on 18 targets for 144 yards. In the three weeks leading up to that, the fifth-year player had just six goals on 16 goals. He does the job despite the fact that Denver is playing without receivers Jerry Goody (ankle) and KJ Hamler (hamstring).
6. “(The defenses) challenge our room to come out and make plays,” said Sutton. “We have a lot of guys who haven’t established themselves in the league yet. We know what they can go and do, and they have to go out and play some plays so the defenses can play us honestly.”
7. Quarterback Russell Wilson said Wednesday that he recognizes the fact that the Broncos have to do much better in the third quarter over the remainder of the season. Denver’s offense scored just 10 third-quarter totals this year, three of which came after three points despite good field position after an interception. Overall, they scored four touchdowns in the first, second, and fourth quarters each, and scored just one goal in the third quarter.
8. “We should go out and have a better third quarter,” Wilson said. “It’s part of why we’re where we are. Not even a part of it — a big part of it. We’ve had a pretty good first halves for the most part, some more than others, but the third quarter slowed us down significantly. That’s something I’m really focused on with the next few days to go.” To this game and the rest of the games this year. Hopefully we can turn it around.”
9. Wilson bid farewell to friend and former Wisconsin teammate Melvin Gordon, as he cut the Broncos last Tuesday. “He’s a guy that guys in the locker room love to death. It pains us to see him go. I know how much he cares,” Wilson said. “He hated letting people down and felt like he always wanted to just try and put on a great play. The great thing about Melvin is that he will get another chance. We’re praying he gets another bullet somewhere.”
10. The Broncos had a neutral win in London this fall but are 0-4 in real road games and have lost the past seven dating to the November 7, 2021 victory in Dallas. Hackett’s team is now heading down a tricky back-to-back that includes traveling to Charlotte and then Baltimore.
11. “Just look at our audience this past weekend,” Hackett said when asked about the tough life on the road. “It was great. They were so loud, the whole game and the atmosphere was great. It stresses that just being able to communicate, even in a huddle, is a crime once you’re (on the line) if you have a check or something. So that’s always Big advantage.